Tuesday, June 20, 2006

A Unique Reaction to the Election of a new Presiding Bishop

[There are many, many websites and blogs dedicated to the big GC, in their totality representing the "celebration of diversity" that we often, um, celebrate. I thought the following verbatim conversation I overheard between two Episcopal Church laywomen in a Manhattan restaurant summed up a type of reaction that might not be found on the internet. Please note, neither of these people is a member of St. Paul's.]

Hey, they elected the new Presiding Bishop.

Oh, yeah? Which one?

The woman. What's her name?

I don't remember. Um, Billie Ann, I think. Something like that.

The reporter said her name so fast. It sounded like Hurleyburley or something.

Hurleyburley?

You know. Something like that.

The new Presiding Bishop is Billie Ann Hurleyburley?

Here's to her.

That's great. Is that onion flower thing still on the menu?


This reminds me of something said by John Danforth in his keynote address. The whole story, including the PB's real name, may be found here.