Monday, June 12, 2006

General Convention 2006


While I assume that most of the reporting by the mainstream media on our triennial convention will involve "gender relations", there are a couple of other areas that are actually of greater interest to those of us at the "grunt" level of the Episcopal Church.

One, of course, is the election of the new Presiding Bishop. The candidate profiles may be found here. [Alright, so maybe not all that important to most laity but, as this election only happens every nine years and perfectly reflects the vox populi vox deo theology of the early Episcopal Church, it is of some historical note].

The second involves the Episcopal Church's support of the Millennium Development Goals of the United Nations. [I know, I can already hear some of you go "Huh?" The relationship between the UN and the Church is historic and complicated.] More can be read about this by going here.

Just so you know, these admirable goals include the following:

1. eradicate extreme poverty and hunger;
2. achieve universal primary education;
3. promote gender equality and empower women;
4. reduce child mortality;
5. improve maternal health;
6. combat HIV/AIDS, malaria, and other diseases;
7. ensure environmental stability; and
8. develop a global partnership for development

[If you were hoping for "9. Proclaim the Gospel to the world", well....]

The understanding is that these eight points could be achieved if every diocese contributed 0.7% of its budget to Episcopal Relief and Development [one of the most useful organizations within the Church]. There will be some discussion of this, I'm sure.

Anyway, it all begins tomorrow around 9:30 am with, naturally, a celebration of the Holy Eucharist. I will be in attendance in Columbus this week and plan to return on Saturday.