Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Prayer for the Search Committee [and other news]

As we have now officially entered the transitional period, with the completion of the “Telling Our Story” exercise and the election of the search committee, I will occasionally use this space to keep the parish up to date on what is being done, through the office of interim rector, to prepare for the reception of the new rector. Among the many things will be the implementation of the strategic plan for parish organization, which was approved by the vestry [and through parochial support], back in the autumn.

This manner of organization will enable us to more efficiently mount innovative ministries and nurture those that are long established. The one promise I will make to you, however, is that we will not be using the term “program” to describe the type and style of the parish of St. Paul’s. [Personally, I have always found the term “program” to be rather cold and unwelcoming. Certainly, those features would not describe our parish.] I think that we may easily remain “pastoral” in our manner and practices, whatever the number of people who swell our pews on Sundays.

Also at this time, it is important that we begin to incorporate prayers for the search committee in our daily practice. I would offer the following, which may be found on page 818 of the Book of Common Prayer:

Almighty God, giver of every good gift: Look graciously on your Church, and so guide the minds of those who shall choose a rector for this parish that we will receive a faithful pastor, who will care for your people and equip us for our ministries; though Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.