Some Random Announcements from the next Visitor
I have some announcements that I want to offer before the holiday season really takes hold, so I will forgo the usual monthly essay in order to share some information:
Children’s’ Chapel -
As I mentioned during the announcements a couple of Sundays ago, I would like to alter our familiar Children’s Moment to something that would double the rector’s time with the children and also enable them to have their own active worship space and liturgy on Sundays. Not only would the homily for children remain intact, but the youngsters would also learn something of what we do in worship and why.
The only adjustment that would have to made to our schedule is that which is dependent on the cooperation of the parents. Namely, the new Children’s Chapel would begin about ten minutes before the start of the 10 am Eucharist on Sundays. Of course, parents would be invited to attend.
Please let me know what you think, but I would like to begin this new experience as of the first of the year so that it may be established by the Lenten and Easter seasons, and be in place for use by the new rector later in 2006.
Intinction -
Intinction is the official name for the act of “dipping” the host, or wafer, in the chalice instead of drinking directly from the chalice during reception of the sacrament. While a number of people engage in this option, it is not always done in the correct manner. As we are moving into the proverbial cold and flu season, I would remind members of the parish who practice intinction that one does not place one’s fingers in the wine. This is avoided by touching the host to the interior rim of the chalice, rather than directly in the wine itself.
I would ask parents who have their children intinct that they be the ones to “dip” the host into the chalice for their children, rather than let those with developing coordination try to do so. The host may also be “dipped” for a child or adult by the chalice bearer. I will also remind the chalice bearers to hold the chalice as low as is reasonable so that those who are taking the wine by intinction may see what they are doing.
Also, I notice that there are some members of the parish who choose, for whatever reason, not to receive the wine. However, the chalice will be offered to you and I would ask that, instead of walking away from the proffered chalice, you place your hand on the base of the cup while the proper words [“The blood of Christ, the cup of salvation.”] are said. In this manner, the sacrament is being conferred “in both kinds”, in other words, as both bread/body and wine/blood.
As this is a major element of our Eucharistic theology and history, it is important that we fulfill its expectations.
Interim Rector’s Bible and History Study -
This series, which is being offered on Tuesday evening at 7 pm, will continue on Tuesday, November 29th and December 6th. Thus far we have covered the history and cultural importance of the Jerusalem Temple, and have looked at the wedding and marriage customs of 1st century Jews. Our wedding discussion will continue on the 29th and then proceed to the next topic, “Slaves, Servants, and Stewards.”
Parishioners may attend one or all of the presentations, may come late, may come only for the free food [just kidding], but are asked to bring a Bible, of any translation, with them. As the response has been very strong, with over thirty people attending the presentation on the 15th, we will seeking opportunities to do more of these in the near future.
Children’s’ Chapel -
As I mentioned during the announcements a couple of Sundays ago, I would like to alter our familiar Children’s Moment to something that would double the rector’s time with the children and also enable them to have their own active worship space and liturgy on Sundays. Not only would the homily for children remain intact, but the youngsters would also learn something of what we do in worship and why.
The only adjustment that would have to made to our schedule is that which is dependent on the cooperation of the parents. Namely, the new Children’s Chapel would begin about ten minutes before the start of the 10 am Eucharist on Sundays. Of course, parents would be invited to attend.
Please let me know what you think, but I would like to begin this new experience as of the first of the year so that it may be established by the Lenten and Easter seasons, and be in place for use by the new rector later in 2006.
Intinction -
Intinction is the official name for the act of “dipping” the host, or wafer, in the chalice instead of drinking directly from the chalice during reception of the sacrament. While a number of people engage in this option, it is not always done in the correct manner. As we are moving into the proverbial cold and flu season, I would remind members of the parish who practice intinction that one does not place one’s fingers in the wine. This is avoided by touching the host to the interior rim of the chalice, rather than directly in the wine itself.
I would ask parents who have their children intinct that they be the ones to “dip” the host into the chalice for their children, rather than let those with developing coordination try to do so. The host may also be “dipped” for a child or adult by the chalice bearer. I will also remind the chalice bearers to hold the chalice as low as is reasonable so that those who are taking the wine by intinction may see what they are doing.
Also, I notice that there are some members of the parish who choose, for whatever reason, not to receive the wine. However, the chalice will be offered to you and I would ask that, instead of walking away from the proffered chalice, you place your hand on the base of the cup while the proper words [“The blood of Christ, the cup of salvation.”] are said. In this manner, the sacrament is being conferred “in both kinds”, in other words, as both bread/body and wine/blood.
As this is a major element of our Eucharistic theology and history, it is important that we fulfill its expectations.
Interim Rector’s Bible and History Study -
This series, which is being offered on Tuesday evening at 7 pm, will continue on Tuesday, November 29th and December 6th. Thus far we have covered the history and cultural importance of the Jerusalem Temple, and have looked at the wedding and marriage customs of 1st century Jews. Our wedding discussion will continue on the 29th and then proceed to the next topic, “Slaves, Servants, and Stewards.”
Parishioners may attend one or all of the presentations, may come late, may come only for the free food [just kidding], but are asked to bring a Bible, of any translation, with them. As the response has been very strong, with over thirty people attending the presentation on the 15th, we will seeking opportunities to do more of these in the near future.

<< Home